Job title: Y-PHD Afterschool Program Leader (Inglis Street Elementary School)
Job description: Title: Y-PHD Afterschool Program Leader (Inglis Street Elementary School)
Position Status: Part-Time, Contract; Monday to Friday, 2:00-5:30pm from August to June
Salary: $15.00 – 17.00 per hour
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Inglis Street Elementary School
The YMCA is a place where everyone belongs, we are committed to providing equal opportunities for all, in a welcoming space that is both nurturing and fun – a community of shared responsibilities, where children and families can thrive.
There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters, and the Y is one of those rare places. When you join our team, you don’t just get a job – you’ll embark on an exciting path of career development. You will be part of a team that provides children, youth, and adults of all ages reach feel a sense of belonging to their community.
This position is responsible for ensuring quality, inclusive program delivery with a focus on physical literacy, cooperative play, and confidence building in keeping with High Five and Y Healthy Child Standards curriculum. Direct delivery of child-centric development-based programming for School Age youth (ages 4-12) and championing importance of physical literacy in youth as a cornerstone to building Healthy Communities.
- Program Planning: plan and implement before school, lunchtime and afterschool programming that provides an interactive, well-rounded, and educational experience in keeping with quality standards, child protection/safety requirements, and provincial requirements (i.e. applicable legislation). Includes development of curriculum plan and supporting activities, ensuring experience consistency/routine maintenance, and resource procurement
- Program Delivery: Responsible for delivery of hands-on program activity plans for school age youth (ages 5-12) to enhance/provide participants with a safe, inclusive, positive environment. Program facilitation is in keeping with established outcomes/objectives, in addition to YMCA quality and Child Protection standards, school safety requirements, and provincial regulations. Includes: program set-up/take down, preparation of materials and procurement of supplies/equipment; program evaluation and measurements of success
- Foster positive, collaborative relationships with parents and caregivers in aim of supporting and enhancing child’s learning, development, and ensuring individual needs are met. Through collaboration with the leadership team, ensure a timely, meaningful resolution to parent concerns regarding program delivery. Champion and model Y values and behavior standards in all internal and external interactions
- Program Administration: Complete program documentation/administrative activities as required supporting efficient program delivery and fulfillment of YMCA program and provincial body legislated requirements. Includes: completion, maintenance, and reporting of daily/weekly activity plan, pick up/sign out records, participant record maintenance, program/participation statistics, permission slips, and attendance
- Supervise and mentor student placements leading by example and offering feedback when necessary
- Problem-solve any challenges that may occur within placements. Identify and target those placements that can be recruited for future employment
Qualifications & Skills
- Must have own car or reliable access to a means of transportation
- High School diploma, or equivalent combination of education and experience, with a strong reference
- 0-2 years of childcare experience with demonstrable evidence of experience linked to the role’s responsibilities
- Experience working with children
- Demonstrated success in plan/organize games, sports, arts, crafts, cultural activities, lead field trips, etc.
- Post-secondary education in Early Childhood Education or related field an asset
- Working knowledge of school system and community resources an asset
- Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills to work with youth, parents, and staff
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple, competing deadlines and priorities
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation/workshop facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and ability to establish rapport with clients
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License or access to reliable transportation
- Flexibility to work outside of regular work hours on an as-needed basis
- Participation in a comprehensive Group Benefits and Pension Program
- Strong work/life balance programs, i.e., paid vacation and personal days
- Individual and family YMCA Membership options
- Access to discounted childcare and programs
Please note that the successful candidate is required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check, clear Child Abuse Registry Check, and valid First Aid and CPR training. All YMCA employees are required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training during their probationary period.
Please apply online at https://ymcahfx.ca/workwithus/.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify.
Location: Halifax, NS
Job date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 02:20:48 GMT