Job title: Utility Vegetation Technician
Company: Davey Tree
Job description: Additional Locations: Saskatoon and REgina Area
Primary Locations: Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, 5103 8th Street East, S7V 0A9
Requisition ID: 190437
As a Utility Management Planner/Utility Forest Technician you will provide detailed vegetation management workloads and prescriptions for utility companies and develop work manifests that are issued to line clearance tree crews, helping to manage vegetation most efficiently along transmission and distribution right of way.
You will provide value and support to our client(s) through delivery of accurate work instruction and best practices providing cost effective ways for utility companies to address their vegetation management needs.
- Patrol and assess right-of-way vegetation with the intent of translating operational plans and prescriptions into GIS for field execution.
- Review and understand utility customer needs.
- Create vegetation management prescriptions and schedules for tree clearing, mechanical vegetation control, herbicide application and danger tree removals with the intent of increasing utility system reliability and vegetation program cost effectiveness.
- Compile the assessment information and plans into various computer devices and GIS systems for execution by vegetation control operations.
- Pre-operation coordination, including permitting, liaise with Governmental Agencies, Clients and Contractors, participate in negotiations, notify property owners of planned work.
- Complete site auditing and spot checks to verify work execution by tree service is being done as per management plan.
- Act as a point of contact for utility customers where work on right-of-way may be near their homes.
- Act as a forestry problem solver for the client to maintain safe and reliable power.
- Provide insight to stakeholders on the work to be done near their properties and answer any questions they have.
- University degree preferred in a forestry, environmental science or natural resource management or College diploma in related field.
- 3+ years’ experience in a related field such as arboriculture, vegetation management, forestry or utility line clearing.
- ISA Certified Arborist or Utility Tree Trimmer (UTT), Utility Tree Worker (UTW), Certified Utility Arborist (UA/CUA) preferred.
- Additional Certifications such as Utility Specialist, Tree Risk Assessment Qualification, Wildlife Danger Tree Assessor, Registered Professional Forester (RPF), or Pesticide Applicators License considered assets.
- Working knowledge of various forestry and utility aspects, including manual, mechanical and herbicide vegetation management.
- Comprehensive ability to identify vegetation, tree species, noxious weeds, danger trees and knowledge of plant growth rates.
- Basic understanding of transmission and distribution of hydroelectric power systems, utility network mapping
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work safely both independently and as part of a team and possess the willingness to learn and progress.
- Working knowledge of GIS applications considered a strong asset
- Valid First Aid, driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to travel throughout Canada for extended periods when required.
- Shift Rotations based on project but can include: 5 on 2 off, 10 on 4 off, 15 on 6 off.
- 10-hour days – opportunity for overtime/shift work (14 days working 6 days off, 10 days working/4 days off, etc.).
- Daily Per Diem
- Accommodations Fully Covered
- Travel required.
- Travel Time Covered
- Full time. Year-round employment.
- Excellent Benefits package, RRSP Matching
- Employee owned company with stock purchase available after 1 year of service.
- Davey provides ongoing training and careers advancement opportunities.
Davey Tree Expert Co. of Canada, Limited has been performing tree care and vegetation management services across Canada since 1930. With over 850 employees, we continuously pride ourselves on unmatched quality and safety. Davey Tree has numerous crews that are professionally trained to provide tree trimming and removal services to ensure the scope of this contracted work is completed safely, and well before any deadlines. Our relatable experiences and industries serviced include notably Utilities, Municipalities, Government, Rail, Commercial and Residential.
Since 1930, Davey has been protecting and enhancing trees and urban forests in communities across Canada. Davey Resource Group (DRG), the consulting division of the Davey Tree Expert Co. of Canada, Limited, provides a comprehensive range of natural resource and utility consulting services to the commercial, residential, municipal and governmental markets. In Canada, our expertise and services encompass arboriculture and forestry, right-of-way vegetation management, ecology and wildlife, and asset management.
The Davey Tree Expert Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected class, including race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin, marital or familial status, disability, status as a protected veteran, status as an Aboriginal or Indigenous person, or other classification protected by law.
The Davey Tree Expert Company of Canada, Limited, is committed to scientifically based horticultural and environmental services with outstanding client service. Davey Tree Expert Company provides research-driven tree services, grounds maintenance and environmental consulting for residential, utility, commercial and environmental partners in the U.S. and Canada. We care about our clients, each other and the world around us. We offer the resources, size and stability of a big company while maintaining the culture, entrepreneurial spirit and feel of a small one. We invest in our employees by offering industry-leading training, technology and benefits that lead to a rewarding and safe work experience at all levels. Wherever you want to grow your career, there’s a place for you at Davey. To learn more, visit Davey.com.
If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please email .
Davey is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers all qualified employees and applicants for all positions regardless of their age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or other protected characteristics as established by federal, state, or local law. It is our mandate that all matters related to the terms and conditions of employment and all treatment on the job be free of discrimination. In addition, harassment based on any protected characteristic is strictly prohibited.
To preview Davey’s relevant EO/AA plan, please submit a written request to: The Davey Tree Expert Company, Attn: HR, 1500 N. Mantua Street, Kent, Ohio 44240.
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law – English | Spanish
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law Supplement – English | Spanish
Right to Work – English | Spanish
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Job date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 02:58:09 GMT