Job title: Socio-Cultural Monitor, English Language Program *Term
Company: University of Winnipeg
Job description: UWinnipeg’s English Language Program (ELP) delivers high quality programming to international and domestic students seeking to enhance their English proficiency.
Socio-Cultural Monitors are part-time (0-15 hours per week) term positions that will run until November 2024. The successful candidates will be responsible for assisting the Student Life Coordinator with a variety of tasks related to Student Life & Socio-Cultural activities offered through the English Language Program.
- Assists in the planning, organization and implementation of socio-cultural activities and events.
- Supervises students at the activities and immediately reports any difficulties or problems to the Student Life Coordinator.
- Interacts with students to facilitate English language development.
- Ensures activities operate safely and reminds students of safety regulations.
- Attends a socio-cultural monitor staff meeting each term (3 per year).
- Helps transport students to and from activities via school bus, walking, or public transportation.
- Acts as ambassadors of the University of Winnipeg English Language Program as well as Canadian and Winnipeg culture.
- May be required to assist with other Student Life tasks such as student orientations, campus tours, and administrative work.
- High school completion or equivalent.
- University degree in-progress is considered an asset.
- Experience as an international student or working with EAL students is considered an asset.
- Past participant of the English Language Program is considered an asset.
- Ability to speak a language other than English is considered an asset.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to work and communicate in a cross-cultural work environment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
An equivalent combination of education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities may be considered.
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ability to work Friday afternoons, evenings and/or weekends is required.
The salary range for this position will be from $15.91 to $22.05 per hour.
Note: The work described in this posting will be conducted in-person.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff and faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons to confidentially self-identify at time of application.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to ensuring employment opportunities are accessible for all applicants. If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.
The personal information of applicants is collected under the authority of the University of Winnipeg Act and 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All personal information collected via the recruitment process is used to assess the applicant’s suitability, eligibility, and qualifications for employment, and to otherwise support recruitment activities. This information will be provided to participating members of the recruitment process. Questions regarding the collection of your personal information may be directed to the Director, HR Services, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2E9 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Job date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 07:08:01 GMT