Job title: Saint John Registered Nurse Class C (RNCC) PCN 1258051
Company: Horizon Health Network
Job description: JOB PURPOSE
- This is an advanced practice nursing role in the field of family medicine. To provide ongoing clinical expertise, mentorship, support, and education to medicine nursing staff. The individual is the clinical nurse leader within the collaborative nursing model for the SHC medicine program needs.
The work is performed in accordance with Horizon Health Network administrative policies and procedures.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Active registration with the Nurse Association of New Brunswick (NANB)
- Minimum of five (5) years comprehensive clinical experience in the acute medical-surgical medicine setting.
- Must have current BCLS
- Experience in simulation training and debriefing an asset
- LEADS course or ability to complete within 18 months of hire
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to motivate staff and work with the multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated effective teaching skills in both a formal and informal settings
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a project management framework to identify and support program initiatives
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and the ability to be self-directed
- Demonstrated ability to role model, mentor, and lead with the interdisciplinary team
- High regard for confidentiality for patients and staff associated information, ethical behaviour, and the ability to effectively deal with conflict
- Must be able to work independently within the defined scope of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to assess, plan, organize, coordinate, and evaluate to reach objectives
- Proven computer technology skills: Microsoft applications- Outlook, Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Allscripts and ability to use virtual meeting forums such as Microsoft TEAMS. Skills testing required with a minimum score of basic at 50%.
- Must have the ability to work flexible hours
- Travel is required
- Good work and attendance record
** A Resume and cover letter are mandatory for this posting. **
- Resource and education to nursing staff – 25%
- Responsible for educating staff via in-servicing, workshops, skills days, formal presentations, and one-on-one sessions.
- Develops communication plans for the dissemination of education.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with Interdisciplinary teams and with various learners (physician, nursing, pharmacy etc.) within the program and acts as an expert resource.
- Coordinates and teaches BCMI courses
- Required to be able to process theoretical information, promote systematic inquiry and translate knowledge to action in the clinical environment.
- Provides a weekly workplan and reports to Nursing Leadership Team along with an annual learning/education gap analysis for the department including an action orientated work plan.
Quality and safety – Including professional practice – 25%
- Leads clinical work in SHC medicine units. Items include but are not limited to the development of Clinical Order Sets (COS), policies and procedures, and the development of education materials for patients and staff.
- Develops and leads Quality Improvement (QI) projects for SHC medicine units
- Works collaboratively with Professional Practice nurse on incident reports directly linked to safety and clinical practices. Identifies gaps and opportunities for improvement and plans to address. Implements and reports on progress and results.
- Reviews KPls and investigates associated patient cases to identify where breakdowns in care occurred and develops plans to address.
- Represents SHC on the regional Medicine Network and Saint John area committees relevant to quality and safe patient care such as, Med Rec committee, Falls Committee, Accreditation, writing groups for clinical standards, and network projects.
Clinical supervision and education – 25%
- Ensures adherence to practice standards and accreditation standards
- Monitors resuscitation events during the shift to identify learning gaps and need for further training and support
- Responsible for nursing orientation program for new nurses and clinical level orientation for all areas of the department.
- Provides graduate nurses and graduate practical nurses with on-going support by tracking each graduate, and providing following up for one-on-one and group sessions, nurse mentorship and direct clinical support at the bed side (one-to-one or in a groups). Reports any concerns identified to the Nurse Manager.
- Mentors, supports, and evaluates individuals who may require a customized work plan for clinical practice
- Supervises nurses in clinical practice and provides direct feedback on performance and safety, assists with the development of a workplan in conjunction with nurse manager. Must be able to be able to provide constructive feedback and be able to coach to achieve desired performance results.
- Required to stay current with trends and issues in medicine, health & aging, palliative care
- Clinical shifts are required to maintain competencies and keep current on new processes.
Planning, Implementing, and evaluating service delivery – 25%
- Leads and coordinates organization level clinical initiatives that require education, implementation, evaluation, and ongoing support.
- Collaborates, designs, or provides information on family medicine to key stakeholders.
- Assess gaps and needs and develops evidenced-based and policy informed education materials (presentations, guides, policies & procedures) to address and close gaps.
- Able to perform statistical analysis and ability to synthesize and present data.
- Works with patients and nurses in the clinical setting to collaborate and shape patient care goals
- Conducts research within Medicine which include patients & staff and will help inform our understanding of gaps. The intent is for internal dissemination of information and to prepare for journal publications.
- Required to apply critical inquiry to assess data, synthesize findings, suggest interventions, and write appropriate scientific & technical reports for the Director and Nurse Manager.
- Participates regularly in all Departmental meetings.
- Remains current on respective practice changes for NANB, ANBLPN and CNA
- Knowledge and participation in Disaster Management planning
- Leadership skills that demonstrate the ability to inspire commitment, respect, compassion, and fairness
- Self-awareness, honesty, integrity, optimism, confidence, and resiliency
- Ability to foster shared vision, accept accountability and integrate evidence into decision making
- Can foster partnerships and work with internal and external partners
- Is self-starter, self-motivated and works effectively as a team member
- Decision making and can solve complex situations using sound judgement
- Coaching skills and abilities
Employees are responsible to be aware of and understand Horizon’s
Interested? Apply Today?
Horizon Health Network (Horizon) only accepts on-line applications.
About Horizon’s Recruitment Process
We thank all applicant who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. All interested applicants are encouraged to apply as an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Horizon’s recruitment screening process may include language proficiency testing, clerical testing and/or behavioral assessment. If you are selected for testing, you will be contacted via the email address provided on your application. The official results will be shared with the candidate, Human Resources and the requesting manager electronically and language results will be placed on the personnel file for Horizon’s hiring purposes.
Horizon is committed to enhancing our diverse and inclusive environment for our employees and patients. We believe in a healthcare system that equally supports all people regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, social background, religion, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or sexual orientation. An environment based on a commitment to diversity and inclusion supports our goal of safe and quality patient care.
Location: Saint John, NB – Sussex, NB
Job date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 04:59:25 GMT