Job title: Research Assistant, Department of Biology “Work Study Program” Plant Lab Research Assistant
Company: University of Winnipeg
Job description: NOTE: Students must be approved for the 2023-24 Work-Study program in order to be hired for this position. The Work-Study Student Application form is available online here:
Research Assistants are normally students, in a University of Winnipeg undergraduate program, employed to assist with tasks related to research. Work is performed within defined guidelines and under supervision of a more senior researcher or faculty member.
The research assistant will aid in conducting measurements of herbivory on urban trees of Winnipeg from images obtained during the summer of 2023. This project will contribute to our understanding of the changes in insect damage on urban trees.
- Learn to use image analysis software to conduct measurements of herbivory.
- Images of compound leaves need to be processed before accurate measurements of total leaf area and missing leaf area are obtained.
- The assistant will conduct the necessary adjustments to obtain accurate measurements.
- Once measurements are obtained, the assistant will aid in the initial stages of data analysis.
- The candidate should have completed BIOL 1116 and BIOL 2403 and BIOL 2153.
- Besides strong organizational skills, the candidate should be dependable and familiar with the use of spreadsheet software.
- The candidate should pay close attention to detail and be willing to work for 1-3 hour intervals at a computer doing image editing and learning to use image analysis software.
- An interest in plant ecology, botany, evolution or experimental biology is an asset.
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Students must be approved for the 2023-24 Work-Study program. Students may be eligible for the Work-Study Program if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Currently registered in an undergraduate or graduate program at The University of Winnipeg (PACE and ELP students are currently ineligible).
- Enrolled full-time (i.e., at least 18 credit hours or 12 credit hours if registered with Accessibility Services) for the current Fall/Winter session.
- Completed 24 credit hours at an undergraduate level at The University of Winnipeg (or equivalent);
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Have demonstrated financial need (shortage between your expenses and resources).
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, protected person or an international student with a valid study permit.
The period of work will be from ASAP – March 31, 2024 and the estimated total hours of work will be approximately 49 hours.
Note: This position is represented by the Public Service Alliance of Canada – Research Capacity Unit.
Note: The work described in this posting will be conducted in-person.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff and faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons to confidentially self-identify at time of application.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to ensuring employment opportunities are accessible for all applicants. If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.
The personal information of applicants is collected under the authority of the University of Winnipeg Act and 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All personal information collected via the recruitment process is used to assess the applicant’s suitability, eligibility, and qualifications for employment, and to otherwise support recruitment activities. This information will be provided to participating members of the recruitment process. Questions regarding the collection of your personal information may be directed to the Director, HR Services, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2E9 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Job date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:09:52 GMT