Job title: Registered Practical Nurse – PPT – TRI – CUPE
Company: University Health Network
Job description: Registered Practical Nurse
Job Posting #: 926352
Site: Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Centre
Department: Musculoskeletal and Multisystem
Reports to: Manager, Program Services
Hours: 0.35 FTE per week
Wage Range: $35.04 – $35.53 per hour (Start rate in accordance with collective agreement)
Status: Permanent Part-time
Posted Date: November 9, 2023
Closing Date: November 16, 2023
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first” encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing in the world.
The Registered Practical Nurse practices in accordance with relevant legislation/standards to provide compassionate, collaborative and competent care, while meeting the legal and ethical requirements of the profession.
- Planning, managing and evaluating nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of an interdisciplinary practice
- Using current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients and families
- Participating in interprofessional team care planning forums, inter-professional rounds and family conferences
- Providing mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit; participating in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self
- Complying with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients.
- Member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Diploma preparation as an RPN in a recognized education program for Nursing preferred
- Ability to demonstrate strong health assessment skills
- Experience in complex MSK and oncology patients required
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada)
- Well developed conceptual and theoretical understanding of nursing concepts as they relate to patient population and an ability to articulate these concepts
- Well developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to impart knowledge to students within the context of a teaching hospital
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Computer literacy or willing to pursue appropriate training in computer software
- Demonstrated ability to identify and meet own learning needs for pursue ongoing professional development
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP
) * Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.