Job title: Registered Nurse – Hematology
Company: Hamilton Health Sciences
Job description: C4 is an inpatient unit providing care for individuals with malignant hematological diseases. The primary modes of therapy are intensive chemotherapy, transfusion and antibiotic support for immunosuppression and stem cell transplantation.
As a member of the healthcare team, the Registered Nurse coordinates and evaluates patient care and provides nursing care according to the job description and Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses on Unit C4.
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Recent (with the last 2 years) experience in the care of oncology patients preferred
- Recent (within 1 year) experience in antineoplastic drug administration preferred
- Advanced oncology-nursing credentials such as Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course (offered at the De Souza Institute), Certified Oncology Nurse (CON(C), McMaster University Oncology Nursing Certificate, Mohawk College Oncology Certificate or equivalent from and accredited educational institution preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current assessment and management of the acute care malignant hematology patient receiving chemotherapy, radiation, or palliative care preferred
- Demonstrated experience and skill in chemotherapy administration, IV starts and the care of central lines preferred
- Preferred experience in the care of patients undergoing blood cell transplantation
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills
- Demonstrated ability to support patients and families of patients who are terminally ill