Job title: Personal Support Worker – UHN Transitional Care Program
Company: University Health Network
Job description: PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER, UHN TRANSITIONAL CARE PROGRAM, QUEEN’S ESTATE (3 POSITIONS)
Job Posting #: 926358
Site: Queen’s Estate Site
Department: UHN Transitional Care Program
Reports to: Manager, Program Services
Hours: 0.6 FTE; (4) 12-hour shifts bi-weekly; 12 hour shift days and nights including weekends and holidays
Salary: $21.30 – $26.63 per hour
Status: Temporary Part-Time (approx. 12 months)
Posted Date: November 9, 2023
Closing Date: November 30, 2023
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) is a member of the inter-professional care team and is expected to maintain a collaborative and active working relationship with team members in the provision of client care. Additionally, the PSW will be expected to: * Assist clients with activities of daily living: This includes feeding, lifts and transfers, bathing, skin care, oral hygiene, and toileting. Client may also need assistance with laundry, light housekeeping, recreational and leisure activities.
- Perform tasks delegated by an RN or RPN in compliance with the RHPA for which appropriate education and training has been completed. RNs or RPNs will be responsible for the ongoing supervision of the PSW in the performance of such tasks.
- Communicate and demonstrate basic information in accordance with a client’s pre-established Plan of Care
- Ensure a safe environment for clients and staff by reporting and documenting unsafe conditions such as broken equipment as well as any client behavioral, physical, or cognitive changes. Safety concerns must be reported to an RN, RPN or other regulated health provider, in compliance with client safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for clients
- Complete and maintain related client records and progress notes, as per UHN policy.
- Education: Successful completion of a PSW program from an institution that is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certificate
- A satisfactory Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Check issued in the past two months
- Behavioral management training (such as PIECES, U-First, CPI) is considered an asset
- Ability to handle daily mild to moderate physical exertion (i.e. constant standing, walking, climbing, reaching and frequent movement) on an occasional to frequent basis
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical grounds pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Experience working with persons with dementia, preferably in a senior’s living environment
- Acute care and/or previous rehab experience considered an asset
- Current Food Handler’s Certificate an asset
- Flexible, adaptable to changing work environment
- Good attendance record is required
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP
) * Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.