Job title: Nanofabrication Engineer
Company: Metamaterial Technologies
Job description: META is seeking a Nanofabrication Engineer for our facility in Burnaby, British Columbia. The Nanofabrication Engineer will have the opportunity to contribute to the team’s research by developing new and novel nanofabrication procedures as well as executing and improving previously developed processes.
Reporting to a Manager, Research & Development, the Nanofabrication Engineer will be responsible for developing and executing nano and micro-fabrication process steps for optical devices in a cleanroom environment. The position is heavily hands-on and requires the ability to attentively follow cleanroom protocols and in-house standard operating procedures. The META R&D Team will draw on your strong expertise in the cleanroom as well as your critical thinking and obsession for documentation to develop reliable nanofabrication processes. The position involves detailed execution of successive nano-fabrication processes ranging from wet-chemistry to electron beam lithography. A record of experience in different areas of nanofabrication is considered an important asset.
Some of the typical responsibilities will include:
- Nanofabrication – Learning and developing micro and nano-fabrication processes while operating in a Class 100 cleanroom environment, including operating a JEOL JBX-6300 100kV EBL system.
- Process development – Conduct experiments to improve, discover, and test nano/microfabrication processes. Resolve technical process issues with innovation and pragmatism, while mitigating delay and process waste.
- Device and material analysis – Characterizing nanostructures and materials in and out of a cleanroom. Collecting and measuring data and developing characterization models.
- Maintenance – Perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on laboratory tools in and out of the cleanroom.
- Reporting – Maintaining and writing rigorous and complete documentation such as standard operating procedures (SOPs). Delivering biweekly or monthly reports on the development progress and the measured data.
- Education – B.Sc., or M.Sc. in Electrical, Optics or Materials Engineering.
- Experience – 3+ years of hands-on experience in the microfabrication
- Technical – Wet bench and chemical processing; Thin-film deposition (thermal, e-beam, sputtering deposition); Photoresist spin coating; Photolithography; Reactive ion dry etching (RIE or DRIE); Nanoimprinting; Characterization (optical microscopy, profilometry, SEM, AFM); Familiar with cleanroom safety and hazardous materials handling protocols.
- Characteristics – Motivated, self-driven professional. Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks – often under pressure with shifting priorities.
- Education –M.Sc. Or Ph.D. in Electrical, Optics or Materials Engineering.
- Experience – 5+ years of hands-on experience in the nanofabrication including e-beam lithography.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
What You’ll Love About Us:
META is a fast-growing company with a positive and committed work culture and a phenomenally talented workforce. Our employees are inspired to do exceptional and innovative work, are proud to contribute to the success of the company and are our greatest asset.
META attracts people from many countries and cultures, with over 37 spoken languages represented across our teams. META believes that diversity drives creativity and innovation. We welcome and encourage applications from underrepresented populations; Aboriginal peoples, racialized persons, people living with disabilities (including invisible and episodic disabilities) and members of the LGBTQ2 community.
- META (MMAT) Equity
- Retirement Savings Matching
- Company provided Group Health Insurance (medical, dental, vision).
- Competitive paid time off policy; vacation, paid sick leave; personal days; time off between Christmas day and New Year’s day
- Casual dress
Meta Materials Inc. “META®” (NASDAQ: MMAT) is an advanced materials and nanotechnology company. We develop new products and technologies using innovative sustainable science. Advanced materials can improve everyday products that surround us, making them smarter and more sustainable. META’s technology platforms enable global brands to develop new products to improve performance for customers in aerospace and defense, consumer electronics, 5G communications, batteries, authentication, automotive and clean energy.
Learn more at
Location: Burnaby, BC
Job date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 08:25:41 GMT