Job title: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) – Leukemia/Bone Marrow Transplant Program
Company: Vancouver Coastal Health
Job description: Come work as a Licensed Practical Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Licensed Practical Nurse to join the team at Vancouver General Hospital, BC. Are you a dedicated healthcare worker and enjoy working as a member of an interdisciplinary care team? Do you thrive in both independent and collaborative environments? Apply today to join our team!
As an LPN at Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Work closely with physicians, Registered Nurses (RN), and other members of the interdisciplinary team to deliver direct care activities for clients in the Leukemia/BMT program.
- Perform activities such as assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating interventions, and coordinating health services according to established care plans ith a focus on patient/clients with stable and/or predictable condition.
- Participate in the care planning, functions as a client advocate, and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Establish, maintain, and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Recognize and respond to unexpected client outcomes by communicating and collaborating with other members of the team.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers as needed.
- Work with the RN and physicians in caring for clients where the acuity or complexity of care requires an advanced level of knowledge and skill.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses and two (2) years of recent experience working in acute care.
- Completion of peripheral IV insertion and safe transfusion courses.
- Current practicing registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group – Leukemia/BMT (e.g. including but not limited to patients with complex disease; acute/ chronic Disease Management)
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis related to designated client group (e.g. Hematological disorders; Malignancies/Cancers; Acute/Chronic Respiratory Illness/disease; Acute/Chronic Renal Failure, Acute/Chronic Hepatic Failure; GI illness/diseases; Chronic Wounds)
- Demonstrated ability to perform nursing assessments and interventions related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated client group (e.g. Leukemia, Bone Marrow Transplant, Cancer, Supportive Care, Pain Management (Acute/Chronic/Neuropathic/Palliative); Chemotherapy, Immunotherapy; Wound care; venipuncture Diabetes management; peripheral IV insertion) including safe medication practices (e.g. Best Possible Medication History, transcription, and patient education).
- Demonstrated ability to make sound clinical judgments to provide safe ethical client care to manage a select population of clients. Has knowledge of and accesses appropriate resources embedded within the service delivery model to support nursing practice. Knows when and how to seek out clinical support and guidance as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group by alerting the RN and/or most responsible provider.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with, for example, oxygen delivery equipment; vital signs monitor; glucometer; IV pumps, and other care related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to provide safe and appropriate telephone consultations and document related discussions and client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit protocol.
- Demonstrated skills in patient/family centered care planning, patient/family engagement and education; and therapeutic communication.
- Demonstrated skill in performing LPN scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population including infection control, etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ‘going first’ when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply online via the Internal Career Portal on CareerHub, you are currently viewing the External Career Portal. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for instructions on how to view internal job postings and how to apply as an employee. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***