Job title: Hydro Plant Operator – TERM to March 31, 2025
Job description: Overview
Term to March 31, 2025
Under the general supervision and direction of the Manager, Hydro Plant Operations the incumbent is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the electrical generating units, plants and their respective auxiliary equipment at the Hydro/Diesel sites.
- Responsible to operate both hydro sites and diesel gensets; meeting the system requirements by synchronization, coordinating loads between units, take units on and off from the system bus manually or using automation such as a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).
- Performs and assists work orders on generating units; plant auxiliary equipment, substation equipment, safety inspections, powerplant and yard housekeeping as per preventative and corrective maintenance scheduled by the Manager along with opening and closing the assigned work orders in the NTPC electronic Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Monitors and operates hydro sites and diesel plants, auxiliary equipment as per NTPC’s operational requirements and manufacturer’s recommendations. Logs all necessary readings and prepares equipment for standby condition.
- Works with Central Control Centre and/or supervisor to operate spillway gates at hydro sites.
- Applies, receives and interprets Safety Work Protection Code applications; de-energizes and isolates/energizes and returns to service; units, plants and their respective auxiliary equipment as per Work Protection Code procedures.
- Assists in system restoration following a system disturbance under the direction of the Control Centre Operator and NTPC management.
- High School diploma/GED or minimum of grade 10 with at least three (3) years of electrical, mechanical, or heavy equipment operation experience in an industrial setting. Equivalencies may be considered.
- One (1) year or more power generation or utility experience would be considered an asset.
- Red Seal Trade Certificate as Mechanic, Electrician, Millwright, Power Engineer or any other in the industrial trades would be considered an asset.
- NWT recognized Trade Certificate as Mechanic, Electrician, Millwright, Power Engineer or any other in the industrial trades could be considered.
- Good planning, trouble shooting, organizational and communications skills.
- Proficient in computer applications such as email communications, spreadsheets, word processing software and CMMS.
- Ability to read off blueprints as well as interpret drawings, diagrams and specifications of a variety of types of electrical and mechanical equipment, including manufacturer’s manuals and parts books.
- Team player with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing to work shift work.
- Must possess a valid class 5 driver’s License (or equivalent); Class 1 or 3 driver’s license would be considered an asset.
- Must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records check.
This is a bargaining unit position. Salary for this position ranges from $41.80/hr – $50.82/hr. plus a location allowances of approximately $4,642 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes health and dental benefits, disability insurance, life insurance, paid sick days and a defined benefits pension plan. Relocation assistance may be provided.
Affirmative Action Employer – Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status via our online portal in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Job date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 06:48:04 GMT