Job title: Garage Mechanic Helper
Company: Nova Scotia Power
Job description: Logistics
Garage Mechanic Helper
Nova Scotia Power, Fleet Services
$35.18 per hour, as per the Collective Agreement I.B.E.W. Local 1928
Type of Employment:
Regular, Full Time
February 14, 2024
We are currently looking for a Garage Mechanic Helper to join our Fleet Services team in a permanent position, reporting to the Garage Supervisor and working closely with the garage mechanics. This position involves liaising between mechanics and vendors to supply the correct parts needed for performing maintenance and repairs across the province. As well, there is a need to deliver and return line trucks to and from vendors and depots. The position also includes the tracking of facility inspection for the garage as well as TDG certifications. The Mechanics Helper also performs trailer inspections when needed.
Key elements of this role include:
Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We’re hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future.
- You may be temporarily assigned to other locations to assist other areas when required and will be expected to travel throughout the province.
- You will be required to participate in regulatory training and be willing to participate in on-the-job training or training programs that support the development of additional skills.
- You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of your co-workers by observing and ensuring compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations.
This position is considered a safety sensitive position. As such, the successful candidate must comply with the Emera Alcohol and Drug Policy which requires a confidential pre-employment alcohol and drug test in accordance with the Emera Alcohol and Drug Procedure.
These skills will make you successful:
To thrive in this role, you recognize yourself in most of the following competencies and skills listed below:
- A Nova Scotia Trailer Inspection License, a Valid Class 3 Nova Scotia Driver’s License with a driver’s abstract satisfactory to NSPI, and a minimum of two year’s licensed driving experience are required
- You have a valid Nova Scotia Trailer Endorsement
- You have extensive knowledge of trucking parts and associated fluids
- Knowledge of Aerial Device Components is an asset
- Ability to read and understand parts diagrams
- You have proven problem resolution skills and the flexibility and ability to adapt to rescheduled assignments.
You must be a strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills, a strong computer aptitude and the ability to deal with multiple tasks and demands.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Must be able to occasionally lift 65 lbs. from the floor to waist, ability to lift 65 lbs. to shoulder level and 30 lbs. above shoulder on a minimal basis.
- Able to carry 65 lbs. with both hands minimally, with the overall ability to carry 45 lbs. occasionally. Able to push and pull using whole body strength on an occasional basis up to 100 lbs.
- Perform frequent static reaching between waist level and shoulder level, along with performing minimal reaching below waist and above shoulder.
- Perform frequent standing, walking and neck extension. Perform occasional sitting, climbing, bending, stooping, forward flexional reaching, and neck flexion and rotation.
- Perform minimal squatting, kneeling, and crouching, along with performing crawling on a rare basis.
- Ability to perform fine finger manipulation and possess a simple to firm grasp while performing turning and pinching motions.
We understand that experience comes in many forms, and we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team. So, if your experience is close to what we’ve listed above, please consider applying.
Learn more about our culture and values
At the Emera Group of Companies, you’ll be part of an inclusive, respectful workplace where everyone is welcomed and supported. Come build a career as unique as you are: making an impact from Atlantic Canada to the world. Your experience and perspective will help us to safely deliver cleaner, more reliable energy to our customers. If working in an innovative environment, challenging yourself, and shaping a cleaner energy future inspires you, we want to hear from you. Apply by February 14, 2024 and let us know why this role is right for you.
The perks of joining our team? We offer:
- Health & Wellbeing: A comprehensive benefits plan, 24/7 access to virtual health care services for you and your family through Dialogue, Employee and Family Assistance Program, parental leave top-up plan and wellness benefits.
- Grow Your Career: Opportunities to advance within and between our affiliate companies, a focus on employee development and available sponsored education programs.
- Community Engagement & Care: Corporate investments in the places where our people live and work, mentoring opportunities, fundraising-matching & volunteer programs, various committees and employee resource groups, and scholarships for children of employees.
- Competitive Compensation: A comprehensive benefits plan and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Emera
As one of Atlantic Canada’s largest publicly traded companies, we are ranked one of , and . We know our success is driven by our dedicated teams and we strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the online application process. We support candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs and encourage you to let us know when you require accommodation.
Recruitment & Promotion Policy
The success of the Emera Company is driven by its people: a strong team with a shared commitment to support the . The purpose of our recruitment policy is to provide a consistent framework to support fair and equitable attraction, hiring, and retention of the best talent for vacant positions. We are dedicated to maintaining a fair hiring process that provides equitable opportunities to all our applicants and is guided by our company values.
Location: Halifax, NS
Job date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 04:23:22 GMT