Job title: GameSense Advisor
Company: Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission
Job description: GameSense Advisor
Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis (AGLC) is a dynamic organization leading Alberta’s gaming, liquor and cannabis industries. Our team of high performers is driven to provide our customers with outstanding service and Albertans with choices they can trust.
ABOUT POLICY & PUBLIC AFFAIRS
The Policy & Public Affairs Division supports AGLC’s strategic directions, business priorities and communications. It is responsible for developing Board policy as well as oversees all government relations, media communications, issue management, corporate and social responsibility, FOIP, and strategic communications.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Job Req: 2312
Location: St. Albert Office
Division/Branch: Policy & Public Affairs / Social Responsibility
Classification: Information Officer 1 (041)
Employment Status: Temporary Part Time
Salary: $27.53 – $35.44
Advertising: Internal and External
Closing Date: February 10, 2024
NOTE: This is a temporary 6mth part-time assignment.
Hours are between 17.25 to 36.25 per week.
Are you a passionate, engaging individual who is looking to make a difference? If so, then we have a temporary part-time position for you with our GameSense team! As a GameSense Advisor (GSA) you would be located on the gaming floor in casinos in the Edmonton area to promote responsible gambling and make appropriate referrals to problem gambling services.
You will focus on building and maintaining positive relationships with casino management and staff to support AGLC’s social responsibility mandate within the private operator gaming industry. You will also be responsible for fostering positive relationships with patrons and providing information and education to players to foster healthy gambling choices.
In this role, you will require strong communication and facilitation skills to provide information and responsible gambling program instruction in a gaming venue to adults with a variety of educational, linguistic and cultural backgrounds. In addition, you will need to be able to work with a high level of political sensitivity and confidentiality to be able to support players in making healthy gambling choices.
You will be working on your own away from the St. Albert AGLC office and on the gaming floor in a casino environment requiring you to be highly independent in scheduling your daily activities and balancing program administrative duties and deadlines while maintaining availability in your customer service role. Suicide Awareness is required for this position as you will be working with patrons and staff in gaming venues who may be experiencing effects of problem gambling and may need support and referral to the appropriate supports.
This position is required to work weekends, with varying shifts ending as late as 9:00pm. You must also be available for training in other Alberta locations up to 3 times a year for up to 4 consecutive days.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A two-year diploma in a related field (adult education, public relations, arts, hospitality, social work, and health promotion) is required.
- Minimum of a High School Diploma and 3 years related experience may be considered.
- Experience working in a Casino is an asset.
- Experience with First Nations Communities is also considered an asset.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract is required.
- To be eligible to work for AGLC, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or eligible to work in Canada.
- While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to obtain a satisfactory security clearance and clean drivers abstract (if necessary) prior to employment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
- AGLC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.