Job title: Engineer, Distribution Asset Standards & Testing
Job description: Permanent – Full Time
We generate more than just power for the people of Saskatchewan. We also offer some of the best jobs in the province. Our challenging careers will help you grow, while being surrounded by a team committed to safety, openness, collaboration and accountability. We offer highly competitive salaries and benefits packages to our employees. If you’re someone who thrives in a team environment and doesn’t shy away from a good challenge, join us!
Apply no later than 02/09/2024 to be considered for this opportunity.
The Engineer, Distribution Asset Standards & Testing is accountable to research, develop and implement tasks, methodologies and practices for the corporation. As a member of SaskPower’s management team, this position is responsible for assisting with and/or preparing technical studies, business cases, designs, specifications, tender evaluations, and equipment and construction drawings. This position will prepare project plans, costs, and schedules and provide contract management and project coordination services; ensuring alignment with departmental and corporate strategic goals and objectives.
- Lead, develop, negotiate, and manage joint use communication partner contracts, process improvements, and issues resolution. Participate on national Joint Use committee.
- Utilize sound project management principles to oversee, coordinate, and support Joint Use, Procurement, and Electrification driven initiatives and projects. Excellent stakeholder management is paramount.
- Conduct technical evaluations of prospective materials and equipment in support of supply competitions and contracts.
- Develop technical material specifications, including Electrification and Grid Modernization components, to support procurement activities and construction standards.
- Coordinate, investigate, and resolve material defect issues with internal stakeholders, external vendors, and manufacturers.
- Develop engineered construction standards and drawings incorporating relevant industry codes, utility best practices, stakeholder input, and advances in technologies.
- Provide practical and timely technical assistance and direction, including interpretation of construction standards and resolution of material issues, to Engineering, Construction, Operations, and Maintenance groups.
- Develop, execute, and report on, laboratory tests to: (i) verify material quality, (ii) determine root failure cause, and (iii) trial new devices, equipment, or materials.
- Perform technical and economic analysis of alternative solutions for project business cases and make recommendations on courses of action.
- Develop criteria, guidelines, standards, and new practices based upon codes, technologies, and methodologies.
- Provide direction to internal staff, senior management including Shareholders, consultants, and external agencies as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering specializing in Mechanical or Electrical (other disciplines will be considered).
- Eligible for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan OR;
- Professional Engineering Designation (P.Eng).
- 3 to 8 years of demonstrable experience in planning facilities and providing design, construction, operations, commissioning, contract management and coordination of projects. Sound knowledge and direct experience related to Distribution power systems and/or management of aerial joint use Telecommunication partnerships would be an asset.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation or project management experience would be an asset.
- Familiarity with SAP Enterprise Resource Planning software would be an asset.
- Results oriented thinker, with the ability to manage and provide advice regarding complex and confidential issues with sensitivity and professionalism.
- Ability to work and manage in a changing environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent facilitation, project management and decision-making skills.
- Ability to foster a culture focused on safety, innovation, and teamwork.
- Demonstrated skill in SaskPower’s Competencies.
- Must have a continuing record of professional development.
- Engineer-In-Training applications will be accepted and may be considered for this position
- If the successful applicant appointed to this position is an EIT, the key accountabilities as well as knowledge/skills/abilities will align with the job description and expectations of an Engineer-In-Training. The applicant will retain the title of Engineer-In-Training and remain compensated at that level until such a time that they are eligible for a Professional Engineer position either through bidding or P. Eng designation process.
A suitable combination of relevant education and experience may also be considered
Candidates under consideration may be required to participate in an assessment process consisting of any/all of the following: interview, abilities test, case study and/or presentation.
At SaskPower, we believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. We’re dedicated to creating and cultivating an inclusive workplace and a workforce that represents the communities we serve.
We acknowledge and recognize equity groups designated by the . These include:
- Indigenous Peoples
- members of Visible Minority Groups
- persons with disabilities
- LGBTQ2S+ community
- persons who served and are serving in the military
- newcomers to Saskatchewan
We base our selection process on merit and encourage all diverse groups to participate fully.
As part of our ongoing commitment to reconciliation, we prioritize hiring Indigenous Peoples as we recognize and respect their knowledge and experience. We acknowledge the barriers that affect equity groups, and we’re committed to addressing, mitigating and accommodating these barriers to strive for equity in the workplace. Learn more at
Follow us on to stay up to date on our latest job openings.
Please apply by 02/09/2024.
Location: Regina, SK
Job date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 23:25:13 GMT