Job title: Control Systems Engineer/Technologist
Job description: Control Systems Engineer/Technologist
Date Posted: February 6, 2024
Closing Date: March 4, 2024
Reports To: Instrumentation and Controls Lead
Duration: Full-time, Permanent
The Control Systems Engineer/Technologist manages the maintenance, security and reliability of all configurable process control and safety systems used to operate Methanex Medicine Hat production facilities (primarily DeltaV and Triconex). Ensures control system cybersecurity best practices are followed.
Provides expert knowledge, advice and direction to management and co-workers on configurable control systems within Methanex Medicine Hat. Supports Operations and Maintenance daily with advice and actions on DCS, ESD/SIS and control loop issues.
Supports the development and maintenance of the design, modification (MOC), security and reliability of all configurable process control systems and communication systems used to operate Methanex Medicine Hat production facilities. Ensures control system cybersecurity best practices are followed.
- Provide administration of the main plant safety and control systems including system software, system configuration and graphics archiving per site policy.
- Troubleshoot safety and control system failures with Maintenance/Technical/Operations personnel.
- Monitor and maintain site control system architecture (safety system, DCS, 3rd party equipment).
- Collaborate closely with Process and Operations teams in the analysis of plant trips/upsets, including sequence of events and historian data gathering and analysis.
- Tuning control loops to achieve safe and stable operation.
- Provide field support to maintenance personnel when troubleshooting issues with instrumentation.
- Provide support in the use of AMS.
- Implement procedures and policies in accordance with vendor recommendations, Global Methanex Standards and industry-recognized best practices to maintain the site’s control system safely and reliably.
- Review/Update all control system working documents such as logic diagrams, complex loop descriptions and cause/effect matrix.
- Ensure sufficient spares are maintained based on historical system failures to ensure continued safe and reliable operations.
- Support Alarm Rationalization efforts, and the monitoring of Alarm Management.
- Support the execution of projects per the site MOC procedure.
- Act as an integral member of all site projects requiring changes to the safety/control system.
- Implement and/or oversee installation and commissioning of new logic and connected devices in coordination with Operations.
- Ensure safety validation testing is conducted per agreed cycle. (This will include partial stroke testing and safety system validation for plant restarts.)
- Participate as required in Process Hazard Analyses and Risk Assessments.
- Network with other Methanex sites to ensure standards of the control system are maintained and the latest global best practices are incorporated.
- Actively share site lessons learned and other value-added topics with Methanex sites.
- Actively participate as an integral part of a local team or committee.
- Ensures compliance with all Pressure Equipment Integrity Management (PEIM) responsibilities, relative to the role, as per the PEIM Manual.
- Ensure employee and contractor compliance with Methanex policies, procedures, and applicable standards.
- Train and mentor to ensure successful knowledge transfer within various disciplines throughout the organization. Specifically, as it relates to safety and control system programs and logic.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect, and professionalism.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic
Technical Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Degree in Chemical or Electrical Engineering, a registered/certified Engineering Technologist, or a certified journeyman in Instrumentation with relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience on Safety PLCs and DCS/BPCS.
- Technical and working knowledge of control systems and change management/maintenance philosophies.
- Working knowledge of Triconex and Delta V systems.
- Working knowledge of Control system archive systems would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of PLC systems and software (Modicon experience would be an asset)
- Working knowledge of equipment specification, sizing, and selection.
- Working knowledge of field instrumentation and electrical equipment.
- Superior proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of programs and web-based applications.
- Working knowledge of MS Windows administration, virtualization and OT cybersecurity practices would be an asset
- Work experience within the chemical process or oil and gas industries.
- Customer-focused; dedicated to exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers
- Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills
- Peer relationships: strong ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships, including strong team collaboration skills with diverse teams
- Drive for results; independently motivated and action-oriented, evidenced by a consistent ability to meet timelines and achieve results
- Drive for results; strong time management, planning and prioritization skills demonstrated by an ability to manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities and consistently achieve daily, weekly, and monthly objectives with a high degree of accuracy.
- Decision quality: strong analytical, logical, and structured critical thinking, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, evidenced by sound judgment and a demonstrated ability to make valuable recommendations and decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, and experience.
- Personal commitment to ongoing self-development and demonstrated learning agility