Job title: Client Service Officer (Clerk 3)
Company: Government of Nova Scotia
Job description: Competition # : 41063
Department: Advanced Education
Type of Employment: Temporary
Union Status: NSGEU – NSPG
Closing Date: 29-Nov-23 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At the Student Assistance Office, we provide an opportunity for all academically qualified Nova Scotians to have equity of access to qualify post-secondary education and training. The program provides needs-based assistance to students who would be unable to attend post-secondary study because their family resources were not sufficient to cover their educational costs. We also administer, on behalf of the federal government, the Canada Student Loans and Grants programs. We also offer a suite of debt management tools to help students who have trouble repaying their loans after leaving school.
About Our Opportunity
This position supports the functions of the Assessing and Client Services sections of the Nova Scotia Student Assistance Office (NSSAO). Prioritizing the needs of the NSSAO this position will provide outstanding customer service to students, parents, and guardians, as well as process applications for funding for Canada Student Loans (CSL) and Nova Scotia Student Loans (NSSL) programs, in accordance with established policies, procedures, and criteria.
This position reports to Manager, Client Services.
- Reviews, interprets, and understands the Canada Student Loans (CSL) and Nova Scotia Student Loans (NSSL) Programs.
- Reviews applications and correspondence to ensure information is complete.
- Has regular contact with students via phone, e-mail or through student’s secure MyPATH accounts.
- Contacts appropriate educational institutions, agencies, and government officials for clarification regarding a student application and/or information.
- Requests and verifies financial/personal information. Maintains strict confidentiality of information available within various information systems and ensures that information is only provided to those eligible and/or authorized.
- Provides ongoing feedback or suggestions based on knowledge and experience concerning information and student interactions
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
This may be the right opportunity for you if you graduated high school and have three years of related experience; an equivalent combination of training and experience may be acceptable.
You have strong communication (verbal and written) and exceptional interpersonal skills with previous experience in a customer service environment. You have self-confidence to make appropriate decisions in work situations and the ability to analyze problems and organize work in a fast-paced environment. You must be able to perform multiple tasks in a confident manner, have good listening skills and work cooperatively in a team setting by contributing to team goals and the goals and objectives of the Student Assistance Office.
A demonstrated desire to deliver customer service in both a direct face-to-face setting and through telephone contact is essential. You have superior mathematical and communication skills.
You must demonstrate sound judgement and decision making, as well as attention to detail and must also work under strict deadlines in an often-stressful environment. You must have the ability to work in a computerized environment, with experience with word processing, internet, and email programs.
While not required, the following are considered as assets:
- Experience working with an Imaging and Workflow system.
- Knowledge of the Canada and Nova Scotia Student Loan programs.
- Knowledge of the income tax system, Canada Pension program, assistance programs offered through the Department of Community Services and Employment Assistance for Persons with Disabilities.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
This is a Temporary employment opportunity with an anticipated end date of July 5, 2024. The appointment status (‘term’, ‘temporary’ or ‘casual’) is dependent on the start date of the successful candidate.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace: our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless career paths.
- Department specific flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: CL 18
Salary Range: $1,675.62 – $1,874.80 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to Competitions@novascotia.ca.
Location: Halifax, NS
Job date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 07:03:19 GMT