Job title: Child & Youth Programmer
Job description: Title: Child & Youth Programmer
Position Status: Part-TIme
Salary: $15.00 – $16.00 per hour
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Community YMCA
The YMCA is a place where everyone belongs. We are committed to providing equal opportunity for all, in a welcoming space that is both nurturing and fun – in a community of shared responsibilities, where children and families can thrive.
There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters, and the Y is one of those rare places. When you join our team, you don’t just get a job – you’ll embark on an exciting path in career development. You will be part of a team that provides children, youth, and adults of all ages a sense of belonging in their community.
This position is an integral component on the delivery of our commitment to child and youth development within the communities in which we serve. Responsible for oversight and functional expertise in youth advocacy, leadership, partnership, and empowerment. Through collaboration, the Child and Youth Programmer is accountable for championing our Community YMCA profile through the facilitation of responsive, meaningful programming in a positive, inclusive, community-oriented environment.
- Responsible for development, implementation of Child and Youth Program opportunities at the John W Lindsay YMCA. Develop, promote, implement, and evaluate quality youth programming offered at the JWL facility and in partnership with local community associations/organizations (i.e. leadership, day camps, drop in, wellness, recreation, community support, workshops etc.).
- Responsible for ensuring program delivery is in keeping with safety and quality standards, specifically ensuring alignment with Serving All Members (SAM) standards, child protection requirements, consistent staff/volunteer coverage, and insurance requirements.
- Supervise participants within our after-school and evening programming.
- Ensure that youth and youth organizations are aware of available activities and arrange for advertising of youth programs.
- Manage program administrative tasks to support a safe, positive Y experience for all participants, volunteers, and families, including registration, maintenance of program statistics, participant information, and other tasks as required to support a smooth, effective program delivery and compliance.
- Ensure modeling and championing of YMCA behavioral standards in regard to professionalism, discretion, behavioural standards, and respectful workplace requirements
- Manage participants behavior in keeping with our YMCA standards and child protection/safety requirements
Qualifications & Skills
- Degree or Diploma in Recreation, Outdoor Education, or relevant discipline Healthy Child Development training
- Minimum of 1 year of leadership experience, preferably in a youth programming, outreach, or day camp environment
- Current First Aid & CPR
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with clients
- Proven track record of programming excellence and dedication to safety
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple, competing deadlines
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as required
- Participation in a comprehensive Group Benefits and Pension Program
- Strong work/life balance programs, i.e., paid vacation and personal days
- Individual and family YMCA Membership options
- Access to discounted childcare and programs
Please note that the successful candidate is required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check, clear Child Abuse Registry Check, and valid First Aid and CPR training. All YMCA employees are required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training during their probationary period.
Please apply online at https://ymcahfx.ca/workwithus/.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify.
Location: Halifax, NS
Job date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 00:09:54 GMT