Job title: Certified Dental Assistant – BC Cancer – Surrey
Company: Provincial Health Services Authority
Job description: Certified Dental Assistant
What you’ll do
- Participate in management of patients with medical compromise and with possible exposure to medical risk; perform all chair-side duties and co ordinate booking for the dental clinic and OR procedures. Assist the Senior Certified Dental Assistant with screening of patients and assessment of dental needs to set priorities for dental visits; schedule appointments by contacting medical and dental laboratories to see if work is complete; contact patients and arrange appointments in the dental clinic.
- Communicate with medical and dental staff in the Agency and in the community as necessary to adjust appointment schedules, while ensuring that patient care is not jeopardized.
- Perform all the chair-side duties of a dental assistant and maintains infection control. Make impressions, deliver fluoride carriers to patients; instruct patients in oral care; perform such other duties from time to time as permitted by the legislation of the College of Dental Surgeons of B.C. for a certified dental assistant. Assist with OR procedures.
- Ensure patient charts are requested for patient appointments; check patient chart and treatment plan for completeness, file treatment plans alphabetically.
- Maintain a double entry system on content of file; log all work; box and file study models; file photographs, dictation, reports, letters and laboratory reports until further follow up is required by the Dentist.
What you bring
- Grade 12 graduation.
- Graduation from recognized Certified Dental Assistant Course.
- Current registration with the the British Columba College of Oral Health Professionals (BCCOHP).
- One year of related experience, preferably in a hospital setting. Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work well with patients and staff.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC’s Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Wage: $28.30 per hour
Location: 13750 96 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V 1Z2
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Hours of Work: Other; As per clinical requirements; 0730-1530/0800-1600/700-1500 shift or as Clinical Requirements
Requisition Number # CAS-152187E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
( ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs:
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Labor Agreement Facilities Subsector
Requisition # CAS-152187E-2405386
Work Site 13750 – 96th Avenue, Surrey, V3V 1Z2
Job Type Casual, Part-Time
Salary/Rate $28.30 / Hour
Hours of Work 0730-1530/0800-1600 or as Clinical Requirements
Work Days Other; As per clinical requirements
Expiry Date 15-Oct-2023
Location: Surrey, BC
Job date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 06:21:40 GMT