Job title: Aquatic Instructor
Company: City of Edmonton
Job description: Do you like water, working with kids and the idea of every day being a little bit different? Think about becoming an Aquatic Instructor. It’s like working on a beach without having to worry about the sand! Splashes, Smiles and Structure are your biggest challenges as you make a direct impact on the youth of Edmonton. If having fun while getting paid makes sense to you, take a look below to see what we are looking for out of our Aquatic Instructors!
- Instruct aquatic lessons for children, youth, and/or adults, schools and other community-based groups
- Maintain a safe environment for customers and staff in and around the water and at the leisure center
- Prepare lesson plans, evaluations, progress cards, routine reports, seasonal statistics and assessment sheets as required
- Participate as a Water Safety Ambassador at a variety of facilities Interact with staff and supervisors to keep current on new techniques
- Participate in all applicable in-service training
- Maintain instructional equipment used during lessons
- Completed 9th grade and a minimum of 15 years of age
- Lifesaving Society Swim for Life (SFL) Certification
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI) (LSS)
- Intermediate First Aid, CPR Level C and AED Award is required – (workplace approved)
- Bronze Cross (LSS) or National Lifeguard Certification (LSS)
- All awards must be kept current according to certifying organizations’ standards
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication and instructional skills
- Ability to resolve conflict using diplomacy and problem solving skills
- Commitment to continuously improving swimming lesson results and assisting co-workers and supervisors with tasks whenever needed
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence (or provincial equivalent) is considered an asset. This may require business auto insurance
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit
- Applicants may be tested
Important: Your current awards and certifications must be attached with your application. Proof of current certifications/awards will be required before your application can be considered for an interview. For information on how to obtain your Aquatic Instructor certifications, contact Shayla McKenzie at 780-914-7415.
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: .
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact .
Up to 1 permanent part-time position
Hours of Work: A minimum of 60 hours bi-weekly at various facilities. Must be available for daytime, evenings and weekends year-round.
Salary: $19.712 – $23.885 (Hourly)
Work Locations: You will be required to teach at various facilities throughout the City; ACT Aquatic & Recreation Centre, Clareview Community Recreation Centre, Eastglen Leisure Centre, Londonderry Fitness & Leisure Centre, O’Leary Fitness & Leisure Centre, Grand Trunk Fitness & Leisure Centre, Jasper Place Fitness & Leisure Centre, Peter Hemingway Fitness Centre, Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre, Kinsmen Sports & Fitness Centre, Bonnie Doon Leisure Centre, Hardisty Fitness & Leisure Centre, Mill Woods Recreation Centre, The Meadows Community Recreation Centre, Confederation Leisure Centre and Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre