Job title: Addiction Clinic Nurse (RN/RPN)
Company: Vancouver Coastal Health
Job description: Come work as a Addiction Clinic Nurse at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the Connections Clinic team in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. Apply today to join our team!
As a Clinic Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide on-going health care in an interdisciplinary clinic setting to designated clients with a variety of acute and chronic illnesses/diseases such as mental health and substance use, communicable diseases, and/or general health issues.
- Provide supportive counselling and care to clients who use substances, including those seeking withdrawal management, stabilization and/or are transitioning to other substance use treatment services or housing.
- Establish and coordinate a plan of care and support transitions between services.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team members, educational resources and other health care professionals/providers to achieve excellence in client-centered care and education.
- Use harm reduction principles to conduct physical and mental health assessments, identify challenges, and address issues with the plan of care in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team and any other health care services involved.
- Provide direct care activities such as assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating and documenting client care as part of the interdisciplinary team and collaborate with other service providers to establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent related clinical nursing experience providing care and/or treatment services to the designated client population through a harm reduction, holistic mental health & substance use and/or primary care lens, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) Professional and Practice standards for nursing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community health nursing theory and practice within a client/family centered approach.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of impact of social determinants of health on individuals, families and the community into care provided.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in providing culturally safe and competent care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of colonization of individuals, families and the Downtown Eastside.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with site partners in a culturally safe manner, including community based organizations, community members, and people actively using substances.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain rapport with client population and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct mental status exams and suicide risk assessments.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction and Recovery Oriented Care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of de-escalation, crisis intervention and supportive counseling skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health illness and treatment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of substance use treatment, services and community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to provide care planning, supportive counseling, crisis intervention, and care coordination.
- Demonstrated knowledge of facilitation, mediation, and conflict resolution techniques and demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and consultation to the designated client population.
- Demonstrated ability to perform emergency procedures, including overdose response and CPR.
- Ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ‘going first’ when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply online via the Internal Career Portal on CareerHub, you are currently viewing the External Career Portal. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for instructions on how to view internal job postings and how to apply as an employee. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***