Job title: Activity Aide – Full-Time
Company: VON Canada
Job description: Other Healthcare / Client Support Roles New Minas, Nova Scotia Berwick, Nova Scotia Regular, Full-Time ReqID: 39475
Position at VON Canada (Nova Scotia)
Employment Status: Regular, Full-Time
Program Name: Adult Day Program
Work Schedule: Days
On Call: No
The Activity Aide provides quality support and care for individuals attending the Adult Day Programs by implementing planned program of activities within the framework of continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), VON philosophy, policies and procedures, standards and applicable legislation.
- Contributes to the development of the service plan for each client attending the Adult Day Program.
- Implements, evaluates and revises service plans on an ongoing basis in collaboration with the family/caregivers and internal team.
- Collaborates with the Recreational Therapist and/or Program Coordinator in planning and implementing social and recreational programs.
- Participates in group activities to stimulate mobility, language, reminiscing, group identity and listening skills of clients.
- Assist clients with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) as required (toileting, personal hygiene, medication assistance.
- Collaborates with the team to identify risk factors and introduce interventions to minimize and eliminate client incidents.
- Ensures safety and security measures for the client, volunteers and staff.
- Utilizes volunteers’ talents and expertise within the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Diploma or Certificate from a Community College level program or equivalent in health care, social science or recreation with an emphasis on Gerontology
- Current First Aid and CPR and Food Handler’s certificates required
- Certification with GPA, Montessori an asset
- 1-2 years of recent experience in Adult Day Services or working with groups of clients is an asset.
- Experience in working with adults, especially individuals (and their caregivers), with Alzheimer disease and other cognitive impairments and/or physical disabilities in a social setting a requirement
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good observational skills related to client functioning abilities.
- Awareness of community resources.
- Ability to take direction, as well as to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced Environment; Attention to Detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Fine hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
VON Canada is committed to embracing and celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion (EDI) as fundamental to living out our values of Respect, Compassion, and Excellence in all that we do.
Location: Nova Scotia
Job date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 05:16:08 GMT